Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

(Kid) Rock My World

I recently wrote a blog entry about celebrity sex tapes, questioning why anyone would make one, or why they would be surprised when the tapes would be unscrupulously released to the general public. Newsweek Magazine wondered the same things. They spoke to ex-Creed lead singer Scott Stapp, whose 1999 romp with four girls and Kid Rock recently hit the net. He and Rock went to court and won a temporary order preventing World Wide Red Light District from distributing or promoting the video. Red Light, infamous for their sale of Paris Hilton’s sex tape in 2004, had leaked a 40-second preview clip of the video to the web. The company has acknowledged that the tape came from a third party, but has denied that it was stolen as Stapp has claimed.

Stapp believes the release of the sex video is intended to sabotage him. "Obviously someone wants to hurt me and doesn’t want me to be successful in my solo career," he said. "You think it’s part of your rock ’n’ roll memories," he continued. "I should have burned that tape." Uh, yeah.

Kid Rock was a little more philosophical about the whole thing when Newsweek asked him about the video. I quote at length:

Reporter: I take it that this sex tape scandal is not a positive thing in your life?
Rock: I don't know what to do with it. It's something I'm definitely not proud of, but I'm not embarrassed by it either. It's rock and roll, and it goes on. If I've gotta a carry that flag ..."
Reporter: This does look like the ultimate publicity stunt—the tape drops just as your new album drops.
Rock: I know. But really, I'm not that calculated. It's very lame that it got out. And it’s very lame that Scott is blaming it on someone "sabotaging" his career. It's like, it's your tape, idiot! I'm holding him responsible for it ... Well, it's my responsibility, too. But I was a little caught up at the time. My mind was in other places.
Reporter: How have your fans reacted?
Rock: They've said, "I'm not really shocked you were in a video having sex with four girls. I'm not surprised that someone got it on tape. But, man—what the hell were you doing hanging out with Scott Stapp?"
Reporter: It is pretty hard to tarnish your image.
Rock: I'm a nice person. I am. I'm not rude. I think you’ll see in that 40-second clip: he walks in like, "Scott Stapp. King!" I walk in like, "Hi, I'm Bob."
Reporter: I'm only surprised, given your reputation, that something like this didn't happen sooner.
Rock: No, it's not my thing. I'm not into videos. But it was my own fault for getting involved. I can guarantee I wasn't sober at the time.
Reporter: You had to know that someday this tape was going to surface.
Rock: I hadn't thought about it until the day it leaked on the Web. Then I thought of the company I was gonna be in, and I was like, "Oh God!" The whole Paris Hilton thing. I'm not saying I'm better than them, it's just not where I wanna be.

I guess naiveté knows all types of people, and not fame nor celebrity nor wealth can escape its grasp. Too bad for them. But it makes it fun for us. Now if I could just lay my hands on a montage or capture or two from that tape. I know I’d like to see just what exactly they were up to.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?